Do i have to show LEO my CHL during a traffic stop

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tkcott
Posts in topic: 2

Do i have to show LEO my CHL during a traffic stop

Post by tkcott »

I was recently pulled over in Pasadena for running a red light, showed my TDL got my ticket and went on my way. This is the first time I've been pulled over in 10 years and never thought about producing my CHL. The officer never asked.
Yesterday the weekly Friendswood Police activity report tip of the week says I must ALWAYS show both.
Do I have to show if I'm not asked??

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Do i have to show LEO my CHL during a traffic stop

Post by gigag04 »

If asked for ID you MUST present CHL if carrying. Even when not armed, it is a commonly accepted "best practice" to do so.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Cshuff21
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cshuff21 »

yes!
"Suns up...Guns Up" Texas Tech!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

gigag04 wrote:If asked for ID you MUST present CHL if carrying. Even when not armed, it is a commonly accepted "best practice" to do so.
:iagree: Do what this gentleman sayth.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If carrying you must show your CHL when asked for ID. As stated, it is a good idea to show it no matter.
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
Now, had you gotten in trouble with the officer for not showing your CHL, there is no longer a penalty if you fail to show it. However, it is still the law that you must produce it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:If carrying you must show your CHL when asked for ID. As stated, it is a good idea to show it no matter.
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
Now, had you gotten in trouble with the officer for not showing your CHL, there is no longer a penalty if you fail to show it. However, it is still the law that you must produce it.
That clears that up for me as well, thanks.

Topic author
tkcott

Post by tkcott »

Oldgringo wrote:
Keith B wrote:If carrying you must show your CHL when asked for ID. As stated, it is a good idea to show it no matter.
That clears that up for me as well, thanks.
For some reason I knew something had changed but couldn't remember it was the penalty part. Sure glad it didn't become an issue during my red light violation because I was carrying. Thanks for clearing things up.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

The way I explain it to my students is that the penalty of suspension was removed from the books, but the penalty of dealing with a ticked off officer on the stop will always remain. If the officer believes you intentionally withheld the license as opposed to forgetting, things might start going south from that point on.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

clarionite wrote:

The way I explain it to my students is that the penalty of suspension was removed from the books, but the penalty of dealing with a ticked off officer on the stop will always remain. If the officer believes you intentionally withheld the license as opposed to forgetting, things might start going south from that point on.

Yeah, not matter what, you always have to remember the POP charge. (irritating the Police)
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

PBratton wrote: Yeah, not matter what, you always have to remember the POP charge. (irritating the Police)
There are times that I'll stand on principle, even if it does tick the officer off. I'll be polite and professional and hope he/she does the same.
But in this case, I can't see any harm in presenting both.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

Somehow this thread will make it to 3 pages.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

gigag04 wrote:Somehow this thread will make it to 3 pages.
I don't understand how such a simple question could result in a 3 page thread. :headscratch
NRA Endowment Member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

WildBill wrote: I don't understand how such a simple question could result in a 3 page thread. :headscratch
I don't know how it could get to 3 pages either. :evil2:
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I got nothin'.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

Teamless wrote:
WildBill wrote: I don't understand how such a simple question could result in a 3 page thread. :headscratch
I don't know how it could get to 3 pages either. :evil2:
This thread has a similar discussion, but it didn't get to three pages.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68033&p=839216&hili ... SE#p839216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”