San Antonio - visitor shoots, kills fake cop

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

San Antonio - visitor shoots, kills fake cop

Post by johncanfield »

Tragic (sort of ;-) ) mistake for the bad guy. Story excerpt, full article here:

......He said he was about to pick up a motorcycle from the shop and had just parked his truck and trailer a few buildings away from the store when a man claiming to be a police officer walked up and told him to get out of his truck.

Investigators said the driver asked if he could see the officer's badge and that's when the man told him he was going to steal his truck.

The driver had a pistol and shot the fake officer several times, investigators said, then he called the real police.......
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 1

Re: San Antonio - visitor shoots, kills fake cop

Post by mamabearCali »

Robbery is a dangerous occupation. If a person likes cars I recommend automotive repair.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

This is EXACTLY while the requirement to produce your CHL when asked for ID should be modified this session.

Fake Cop: Can I see some ID.
Law Abiding CHLer: Sure, and here is my CHL.
Fake Cop: Are you carrying? If so I am going to need to secure the weapon for my safety.

All of the sudden the fake cop has your weapon and you are defenseless. There have been many, many instances of fake LEOs in Texas.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

steveincowtown wrote:..All of the sudden the fake cop has your weapon and you are defenseless. There have been many, many instances of fake LEOs in Texas.
Yup. I think that's why it's important to be extremely aware at all times and if the "LEO" isn't in a marked car (in this case), call 911 and ask if an officer has called in the stop. Since we watch San Antonio local TV news, I have an excellent idea of what a uniformed city and county LEO's look like - they are always doing a news story on either a drunk wrong-way driver or a shooting (many times both.) If something doesn't smell right, I'm calling 911.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Zencyl

Post by Zencyl »

steveincowtown wrote:This is EXACTLY while the requirement to produce your CHL when asked for ID should be modified this session.

Fake Cop: Can I see some ID.
Law Abiding CHLer: Sure, and here is my CHL.
Fake Cop: Are you carrying? If so I am going to need to secure the weapon for my safety.

All of the sudden the fake cop has your weapon and you are defenseless. There have been many, many instances of fake LEOs in Texas.
This is exactly why I only hand anything to a uniformed officer in a standard marked patrol vehicle. Anyone is civilian clothes is treated as such until a uniformed officer shows up and vouches for the person in civilian dress.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

If the "officer" is in plainclothes, ask for a department photo ID before exiting the vehicle. Real cops will gladly show you his ID. Don't take a badge as ID they are a dime a dozen at the local gun show or flea market. It's better to be safe than sorry or, wind up killing someone. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

LEO must be in uniform and his/her vehicle must have the agency's name on it. From the translation code.

Sec. 545.421. FLEEING OR ATTEMPTING TO ELUDE POLICE OFFICER; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates a motor vehicle and wilfully fails or refuses to bring the vehicle to a stop or flees, or attempts to elude, a pursuing police vehicle when given a visual or audible signal to bring the vehicle to a stop.

(b) A signal under this section that is given by a police officer pursuing a vehicle may be by hand, voice, emergency light, or siren. The officer giving the signal must be in uniform and prominently display the officer's badge of office. The officer's vehicle must bear the insignia of a law enforcement agency, regardless of whether the vehicle displays an emergency light.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

gljjt wrote:LEO must be in uniform and his/her vehicle must have the agency's name on it. From the translation code.

Sec. 545.421. FLEEING OR ATTEMPTING TO ELUDE POLICE OFFICER; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates a motor vehicle and wilfully fails or refuses to bring the vehicle to a stop or flees, or attempts to elude, a pursuing police vehicle when given a visual or audible signal to bring the vehicle to a stop.

(b) A signal under this section that is given by a police officer pursuing a vehicle may be by hand, voice, emergency light, or siren. The officer giving the signal must be in uniform and prominently display the officer's badge of office. The officer's vehicle must bear the insignia of a law enforcement agency, regardless of whether the vehicle displays an emergency light.
I'm sharing this on FB. I know someone whom a fake cop tried to stop. Thank you.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Dang autocorrect. That should be Transportation code, not Translation code. Ooopppsss.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I wouldn't take that snippet too far....only to meet the elements of
Eluding does the officer have to be in uniform and driving a marked car.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Good for the fake cop. Gone forever. All violent criminal endeavors should end like this.
Fake cops operate under the impression that Society will do as they're told when confronted by the Law and for the most part they will.
Until the "seed of doubt" is planted from fake cops doing their evil deeds is broadcast on the news. Maybe criminals don't watch or read current events.
III

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Late reply -

If an officer in plain clothes approaches or stops you, and you are in question of their authenticity, I would let them know that before I give them my ID, I would like to confirm his ID, then apologize and explain that I wouldn't want let a robber know I was armed, and that I did it for my safety. They must show their proper Identification. I would completely understand if I was in uniform, and a CHL holder asked me to do that. I've been asked on three separate occasions if I recall correctly, it was irritating at first, but I knew they were just as concerned about their safety as was I.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:Late reply -

If an officer in plain clothes approaches or stops you, and you are in question of their authenticity, I would let them know that before I give them my ID, I would like to confirm his ID, then apologize and explain that I wouldn't want let a robber know I was armed, and that I did it for my safety. They must show their proper Identification. I would completely understand if I was in uniform, and a CHL holder asked me to do that. I've been asked on three separate occasions if I recall correctly, it was irritating at first, but I knew they were just as concerned about their safety as was I.
You were asked for proof that you were a LEO while in uniform? I understand that there are some bad folks that will attempt to put together a fake uniform, but those are usually laughable and often don't even come up to the level of a bad security guard's uniform.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

C-dub wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:Late reply -

You were asked for proof that you were a LEO while in uniform? I understand that there are some bad folks that will attempt to put together a fake uniform, but those are usually laughable and often don't even come up to the level of a bad security guard's uniform.
Happened about three days ago, but my uniform does look eerily familiar to a government agency, so I can imagine with my patches saying otherwise, it might make a person cautious. The guys both happened to be CHL holders too, but they did everything right in my book. Better to ask questions before something becomes a problem. Somebody with 5-11 pants and shirt wearing a badge isn't always a cop, observe, and if the goose quacks, it's a duck! :smilelol5:

It would probably help if I got rid of the goatee, and didn't have half of my face covered in tattoos. Just kidding! "rlol"
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”